Saturday, February 7, 2009

quantum mechanics won't solve all your problems

It took three years of chemistry education, but I think I finally understand what a wavefunction is and what quantum chemistry is. While I have very little native interest in the process of integrating over all space and solving differential equations to reach quantum mechanical approximations (I'd rather appreciate the fruits of other people's labors in that area...or get the computer to do it), I think I finally get quantum chemistry is all about conceptually (and why it is very bizarre). I think having calculus, statistics, and physics really solidified all of this for me--even if I can't do the math facilely operationally, I do know what a differential equation is, what the dot product is, why probabilities have to integrate to one, what the complex conjugate is, and what polar coordinates are...and Dan, Maggie, and Alan have given me a pretty solid conceptual idea of what the mathematical gears behind orbitals and energies are.

Depending on what I do later in life, I may or may not need to confront all this at a higher level, and beyond just a conceptual level, but I think I'm content now with the fact that I'm not going to have time to take it before I graduate.

No comments: