Friday, January 23, 2009

Combinatorial Chem

I've been reading about combinatorial chemistry lately, especially its applications in drug discovery. Last semester Jordan Katz (a Reed alum who recently finished his PhD) gave a talk about using a combinatorial approach to find the right inorganic materials for solar cells--unrelated to drug discovery, but showing that it is a useful technique in a variety of applications. This paper and this paper aren't exactly new, but they were my first introduction to the idea of screening a modular library that utilized a combinatorial approach (papers read in my topics in biochemistry course this past fall).

I think I understand the utility of such an approach. Biological systems are complicated, and the idea of design feels really...strange in some ways. Nature works through selection, not design. I know that there are drugs that have been designed, but I can see how a combinatorial approach would be a useful angle since there are so many potential compounds that could be pharmacologically active (is "chemical space" the right term?).

But every time I read a paper that uses a combinatorial approach, all I can think is how boring it must be for the poor grad student or lab tech carrying it out, since it's a conceptual problem that takes a lot of hands going through tedium to sort through. I think at an abstract level, design is more appealing because it is just more satisfying conceptually to think through a rational structure. At least, as a reader, it's more satisfying to read about. I can't help but find combinatorial chemistry boring, however useful of a tool it may be.

No comments: