Wednesday, October 8, 2008

decarboxyllating on the rotovap?

In the adv. synth. lab, there are dry ice rotovaps. They're pretty efficient and nice, but there are only two of them and there are eight or so of us. So sometimes we set rotovaps up in the regular o-chem lab (which is right next door, and they are conjoined by a weighing/reagents room) which are normal, cold water rotovaps and aren't nearly as efficient. I was trying to some last traces of ethyl acetate and ethanol out by rotovapping out some toluene, and I really had to crank the heat on one of the rotovaps in the regular o-chem lab in order to get such high boiling solvents out (whereas it would have been no problem with one of the dry ice rotovaps). My professor comes by and he says "well, I guess you have to really crank the heat on that thing to get toluene out. Now, normally that would be a problem, but we're just going to decarboxyllate that diacid anyway by refluxing in toluene for 48 hrs, so if some of it reacts in the rotovap, that's fine." ( It's funny--if I had heard a sentence like that a year ago it would have zero meaning to me.)

It's always nice when lab inconviences work in your favor.

I also really miss my old research lab (which is upstairs). Where there were only two of us, and glassware was plentiful and the only person I needed to share the rotovap with was my labmate.

No comments: