Sunday, October 5, 2008

I want to have tea with Mr. Phosphonium Ylide and Mr. Sulfonium Ylide

Sometimes when I look through lists of organic chemistry terms, especially reactive intermediates,
they seem like they would make for very amusing children's book characters. (I think I may have stolen this idea from a professor of mine, but it intrigues me nonetheless). I mean, there are the common ones...ylide, enol, enone lactone, imine...but what about enyne, ketene, and azirne? You get some goofy looking compounds with some pretty goofy names. I found a facebook group called "Organic Molecule or Pokemon?" that gets to this same idea; organic molecules' names are so goofy that they sound like pokemon.

So I have a test for you, oh readers, without the aid of the internet, between"Phionone" or "Oxepin" which is the pokemon and which is the organic molecule? No cheating.

No comments: