Thursday, October 16, 2008

I was talking to a friend who worked at Amagen this summer, and she told me that basically the people she was working with were saying that organic chemistry is a dying field--at least as to its usefulness in industry, and that small molecule drugs are pretty inefficient when comparing the cost of developing them to the coast of drugs developed with biochemical methods.

Which leads me to wonder, I guess. I came to college gun-ho about doing biology. Then freshman year I discovered that I really liked chemistry. So I decided to do the biochemistry & molecular biology major. Then sophomore year I fell in love with organic, and now I find myself more drawn to skimming websites like Totally Synthetic than reading about biology or biochemistry, and structural biology is interesting, but most interesting when you put funky artificial bases and peptides in there. My advanced synthetic class is my favorite class I have ever taken. So here I am, in some place, falling more and more in love with a "mature and dying field," as someone once put it? I guess as an academic there will always be room for synthetic chemists, but there's something really appealing about the idea of doing drug design. I mean, I still love detailed cellular mechanisms, and my animal physiology class is great. Molecular biology picks questions that I guess I find really interesting. Mostly, though, what I like about synthesis vs. molecular biology or biochem is that you are making things instead of breaking them apart to see how they work. It's a whole different set of problem solving.

I think I might take the GRE chemistry subject test next year, though instead of the biochem/ mol. bio one because I really do think I want to go to some sort of chemistry grad school. But I almost definitely don't want to go to grad school right after undergrad. The world after this year is so incredibly uncertain. I don't even know what discipline I want to do my senior thesis in.

1 comment:

Ψ*Ψ said...

Organic chemistry isn't dying! (Don't listen to the biotech people--they're biased.) True, there's no real reason to do total synth anymore, but organic materials is on the rise (OLEDs are commercial now, therefore we're useful!). Lots of groups are still doing kick-ass methodology--people are publishing catalysis work done with IRON, for crying out loud--iron is cheap and abundant. Also, green chemistry can only become more popular, as the EPA gets stricter and stricter. This isn't really a bad thing, it just forces us to be more innovative (and pay out the ass whenever we happen to need carbon tet or the like).

If you're taking a year off, I totally recommend taking the chem GRE as a senior--your scores are good for 3-5 years (not sure which), and you'll still be sharp if you do it now. There are a lot of advantages to taking a year or so out...not least, you will have a stress-free and exam-free time preparing your applications. ;)